UCAV
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Episode 1.09 Decisions

Go down

Episode 1.09 Decisions Empty Episode 1.09 Decisions

Post  vampyre Thu May 12, 2011 6:32 am

After cleaning up beside a stream as best they can they return to AU to best clean themselves before going to see the Professor...

vampyre

Back to top Go down

Episode 1.09 Decisions Empty Episode 1.09 act 1

Post  vampyre Thu May 12, 2011 6:33 am

Episode 1.09 Decisions: Act 1

The Professor listened to Jennifer’s detailed explanation of the events earlier that evening. “Interesting." He said removing his glasses. "This clown was definitely a visitor that came from the Canadian Federation. I have heard of such before…but I must check this out. Firstly the fraternity Kappa Delta Phi and their society, the Silver Skulls, I wish to make it quite clear to you all that they are to be avoided, understood Jacob…Tanya?”
They both nodded. “We never knew it was them, if we had…we would not have accepted.” Tanya said. “Our friends were not part of that group…I think they all shared the place together or something.”
“I think not, the fraternity has a number of homes throughout the city they use to entertain guests and the likes…it is their own way of, formally hosting and socializing with the social elite from which they have come from. It is a way for them to show themselves off in all matters of manners and decorum to their parents, friends and well the rich and elite of society. All part of the necessary steps to show that they are capable of the responsibilities that are to come. However behind the veil this fraternity has long harbored a dark secret and for over 200 years it has quietly gathered power and influence both within the university and beyond. I believe that the inner circle of the fraternity has accepted a demon into its midst, one known as Asmodaeus, the keeper of secrets and guardian of secret places. His statues can been seen outside the fraternity mansion and indeed hidden in the gardens of the homes they own throughout the city. One must remember that such imagery is common in the campus and throughout the buildings, gargoyles, the Green Man, demons, angels…saints and other denizens are carved in the features of our buildings and many here do not know they are there, passing them day by day not noticing that what they are missing is the history and hidden meaning in the messages left by the architects and builders, one that I am still trying to understand.”

He paused for a moment. “Asmodaeus is not a demon of hellfire and brimstone like many others, but he is a demon all the same and can manipulate those around him as all demons can to it’s own end, whatever that may be. And while here on this world, Asmodaeus has a link to the demon world of his masters, peers and servants…but this link is as I have been observing still very weak and therefore no other demon is able to cross into this world…for the moment. The students of the fraternity are among the most frequent to visit this particular library and its works, for of course they seek to gain knowledge, hidden knowledge concealed in the pages of many books, encoded in words, pictures and indeed the form and style of writing. They believe that by learning this knowledge it will give them power and that Asmodaeus will ensure their new found discovered secrets remain so, protecting it from all others. But what the fraternity are doing is increasing Asmodaeus power and that of the link to the demon world from which he has come…and weak it is still yet, for the students may think themselves bright, intelligent and gifted but the university builders and authors of the library are greater minded than they and their successes are limited at best. I do enjoy watching them at times, if nothing else to see their ego and arrogance, overtaken by something more powerful…they encounter, frustration and defeat. But they are growing in power…the demon at some time in the future you will have to face Jennifer.”
“I suggest before that happens we learn more of the fraternity and the other group that seems to be against them…the Scroll and Key.” Tanya suggests looking at Jennifer. “We do have some time to prepare for this.”
Jennifer nods dumbly, thinking of how it could be done, and not saying anything…and she mentions the painting.

vampyre

Back to top Go down

Episode 1.09 Decisions Empty Episode 1.09 act 2

Post  vampyre Thu May 12, 2011 6:37 am

Episode 1.09 Decisions: Act 2

In response to that, the professor thinks for a moment and asks the others to wait. He returns a few minutes later and gives Jennifer a brown paperback book, yet thinner...not a full novel as such. The title was "Return to Silver City" and below it was a coloured picture of a cowboy walking into the town with a young boy beside him. It was only there backs she can see, the dusty street of the town beyond, people watching on from verandas as they approach. Below the picture was inscribed, "The latest Traveler's story".

“Let us go to my office.” The professor suggested. She and the others follow the Professor back to his office with the door closed he regards Jennifer for a moment. "The book you have is part of a series written by John Chandler. Between 1922-1957 he wrote some 280 wild west novels that were extremely popular. Some were series but this one was beyond what one would expect from a western book. Unfortunately this is the only novel in the Traveler series that we have.” He opens up the cover and Jennifer sees a large list of books written by Chandler and further down on the second page is some of the previous Traveler stories. “Death of the Home Land”, “The Blazing Desert”, “The Companion”, “Battle of River Flow” and “Duel under the Sun.”
The professor continues. “Not much is known about a number of his books, some 130 or so survive in libraries and more may exist in private collections. I just don’t know, but helped with a biography written of him...a few things were able to be discerned about this particular series. The boy on the cover is Elijah Taylor and this book having been published in 1931 describes Elijah coming from a distant, future, Atlanta. The man with him, is a gungslinger and in this book is referred to as Caine by the townsfolk...a word that means death to them. It seems Caine is on a quest, taking the road of revenge searching and hunting for a quarry called Lazarus. In this novel Caine enters the town wanting to learn more about his quarry, sensing and seeing signs that he had passed through the town and comes into conflict with a zealous priest, Brother Jacob. The story focuses on Caine attempting to avoid trouble and temptation to kill the priest and yes in the end he does just that...as well as his congregation of zealous puritan followers. The rest of the townspeople just watch on and after the bloodbath Caine and Elijah leave the town...the whispers of death monger following in their wake. It is a truly haunting work and as I said, so different than anything he had ever done, very personal in respect to Caine and his quest and how he reacts to the environment of the town and its people."

The professor paused and exhaled. "This series is very dark and he wrote of things that were very unusual for the time. Like Elijah's Atlanta was where there was anti gravity transportation and skyscrapers that were many miles in height. Indeed Elijah says in this book that his home was built atop the ruins of old Atlanta that was destroyed by demons long ago. He comments that while thinking whether Silver City, where Caine had visited before, had been rebuilt from the ashes...he just felt it in the ground he walked upon, the dusty soil, definitely tinted with a black fine dust in places. Twice, there is a mention of doors that Caine had traveled through, doors to other places, though in this novel the doors are touched on briefly, with Elijah acknowledging he had crossed through one to be there...in the Traveler's world. Then there are veiled references or encounters with technology far beyond what existed during the authors time...yet well described enough to have surprised those who have seen them in existence in the decades that followed. In this novel there is a room with a refrigerator made by LG and a lava lamp sitting on top of it...both seem to be the only technology that exists and works in this particular town they visit...it is things like that that interested not myself at first, but the council. I learned 4 years ago the council had been watching him as a prospective sensitive...and indeed his biographer Jack Bowron who published Chandler's biography in 1953, was a member of the council himself. The council confirmed to me that they had been interested in him during his lifetime. In the biography Jack writes that John Chandler often went to opium dens to fuel his imagination and it was during these sessions and high on opium that this Traveler spoke to him…and shared his stories, which were penned as the series. What you may have seen is these people…through doorways…it is staggering that this has happened, but I feel this is what has taken place and it is the start of something a Slayer has not encountered before. How real did it seem to you…the boy and the other…gunslinger for want of a better term.”
Jennifer replies. “It did seem very real and I would have believed it completely had it not been for the effect of the gas that the clown used against me. That made me question my judgement although I have to confess that the young boy seemed to emphasis the fact that his time talking with me was very short. He talked about two worlds…”
“His and ours perhaps.” Jacob said. “Sounds like that series…Fringe…seen it.”
Boring?” Tanya mutters.
“Something else that troubles me, the boy said that there is one other that knows of him and the gunslinger.” Jennifer feels that is the RIGHT description. “No name was given, but the other who knows of them was referred to as “her, a stranger”, a woman, girl, not clear who.”

The phone rings at this moment and the professor answered it and spoke for a few minutes. “Excellent Bryan, I will see you here in a few minutes.” Replacing the receiver he said that a Chandler expert would be arriving soon.

vampyre

Back to top Go down

Episode 1.09 Decisions Empty Episode 1.09 act 3

Post  vampyre Thu May 12, 2011 6:39 am

Episode 1.09 Decisions: Act 3

Professor Bryan Gleason, who head the sociology department, arrives and Jennifer recognizes him as attending some of her lectures. “Ah Miss Moore, nice to meet you again…you did miss tutorial last evening…but never mind the kind professor here explained your circumstances.” He was a kindly old man in his late 60’s, hale, hardy with short stylish silver white hair and a rustic complexion, dressed in a fine suit, always immaculately attired as was the professor…and Jennifer mused that he certainly frowned upon what some of the girls wore to the lectures. He sat down on a chair the professor reserved for his peers and once seated, a brandy was poured for him which was gratefully accepted.
“I have asked you here my friend about the works of Chandler, notably his Traveler novels.” The professor informed.
Gleason looked at his friend smiling and not surprised. “I saw the copy on your desk. I have five others at home…not in good condition unfortunately but a friend of mind is a binder and restorer and presently working on restoring the books to their former glory.”
The professor is surprised. “What made him write the series…this one is the second time he visits Silver City.” The professor inquired. “And the only one we have, but compared to his other western novels…this series is very well, dark.”
Gleason nodded. “Yes, very much so…and though his biography mentions he was into drugs and had some well, almost astral contact with the Traveler, really, I found that rather hard to swallow, considering the biography in general was very good and well compiled. His home in Atlanta is a museum you know, haven’t been there myself but I have a lot of photos taken by those who have and he was surrounded by memorabilia of the wild west, posters, ornaments, newspapers, novels, articles…and lots of photos that would have been used for his town locations. He once said in a newspaper interview he wished to write the ultimate story of revenge and first dreamed up the antagonist, Lazarus a mysterious figure whom we know very little of. But as the books came out, there was a certain as you say darkness and brutal description of the conflict that the Traveler encounters and Lazarus leaves in his wake in the towns and cities he visits. Lazarus is a strange character and hard to determine just whether he was actually human or not. In the first Silver City book, “The circus at Silver City” Lazarus is a ring master and his well entourage of gorgeous yet strangely tainted and mutated performers end up feasting on the audience enamoured after the performance. The Traveler ends up…killing everyone that is there, very graphically described, oh he is so fast and accurate is this gunslinger…”
“A circus…of course clowns.” Tanya pipes up. “Was there a clown…” and she describes the clown they encountered earlier in the evening.
“Why yes, Jack was his name and he led the clowns through their rather bizarre yet amusing shows. Now thinking back on it…I think he was the only one the Traveler did not account for. He disappeared as the massacre began, the Traveler taking to the stage with his six guns firing…very dramatic, it would make quite a movie.”

I

“He also coined the saying, the world has moved on…what was the significance of this?” the professor asked.
“Quite strange that…I have heard it said by some people throughout my lifetime and none of them have ever read Chandler. I sort of got the sense that the road the Traveler was walking was one where the world itself was moving with him, that things that have happened in the past was becoming more the past faster, just the way he described scenes as he left them. Quite eerie, sends shivers up my spine whenever I read them.”
“And he mentions technology.” The professor adds.
“Yes he does, quite strange that too. His description of a futuristic Atlanta Elijah and another companion Zara comes from is very much the look of both cities in the early 22nd century, remarkable insight and something that has been lost on the few scholars who have studied his works.”
“How many Traveler books did he write?” the professor asked.
“I believe 13 in the end…he died while writing the 14th, and I have no idea what happened to the script. The working title I know was “Ebony and Ivory, the great divide?””

I

“Well, she sure is exotic and WOW so.” Jacob exclaims. Tanya nudges him annoyingly.
“Shikarzu…if this is so.” The professor says slowly. “No…are you saying she knows or she was in that novel as well?”

I

vampyre

Back to top Go down

Episode 1.09 Decisions Empty Episode 1.09 epilogue 1

Post  vampyre Thu May 12, 2011 6:41 am

Episode 1.09 Decisions: Epilogue 1

The professor pours a brandy and sits down looking at the Chandler novel on his table. The reading lamp was on illuminating a number of books neatly lined on shelving that encompassed his private reading room. The world has moved on...not the first time an author had penned this, another had as well, over the course of seven thick volumes, written in the first decade of the 21st century...weaving a haunting surreal story of a gunslinger's seeking to mend the wrongs of the world, by reaching a centre point of his and other worlds where a tower awaited him...his destiny. And he too had a young boy in his company as well as others. The professor had read a few articles on the books and unfortunately like many of that era were only found in prized collections and the Museum of Literature. The world has moved on...even I had found myself saying it...it seemed the right moment to say it...always in relation to matters of the past...always as if to end the conversation, change the subject. There was no doubting the experience that Jennifer had was real...her voice betrayed that and that concerned him. This was new...no such experience had befallen a Slayer before. The council would want to control this matter and the professor knew that to allow the Slayer to follow this road herself, would take some diplomacy and at a price. He had one ace to play...and if necessary he would use it indeed.

vampyre

Back to top Go down

Episode 1.09 Decisions Empty episode 1.09 epilogue 2

Post  vampyre Thu May 12, 2011 6:46 am

Episode 1.09 Decisions: Epilogue 2

Later that evening Jacob and Tanya were relaxing after their ordeal drinking a few beers with Gabriel and Ryan at the sanctuary as Ryan called the new "digs". Both had retold in their own way what happened that evening and they were still recovering from the ordeal, Tanya shivering when her mind wandered to the grotesque masque of the clown. Ryan was not convinced about the cowboy thing...and Chandler's books, though a quick web search confirmed he was a western author and prolific during his time. He opened another can and gulped half of it down. "Sounds way freaky for this kid...the clown is one thing but seeing portals with a cowboy and young kid...talking with her...hey no doubt would make a great script for what's that show...oh yeah Fringe."
Tanya smiled at that. "A portal is a good way to describing it perhaps. I wonder if the gunslinger or Elijah could have walked through...interesting thought."
"Let's not go there." Jacob muttered, thinking this was getting too hard. Scooby whined in agreement. "Look what should we do...you know like help her and that?"
"Well Jennifer seems to be looking into some of this...the Shikarzu angle of things, so let's put our heads together and start finding out more about the Silver Skulls. Their tapping is less than 2 weeks from now."
"The Silver Skulls...them with a demon now...oh wonderful." Ryan muttered. "In 9 days another 12 blessed ones will be invited to join the chosen ones. Total bunch of fuckwits...they are so up themselves." "
Yes to be one of them." Tanya said. "Your parents have to rich, influential or both. That is the prime requisites it seems...so it is spilt rich boys club...with a demon in their midst."
"It is true, the Silver Skulls focus on the rich and famous and that has always been so. But that is lost on almost everyone at the campus...it is the prestige of the moment, tradition...and the honour of been selected with the tap by the Master Warden."
"It's all tosh Gabriel." Jacob adds. "We saw it last year didn't we babe, watching his high and mighty majesty go around the campus in black and everyone watching and following on hoping to be among the chosen 12 or find out who it would be. Mind you the party that followed in E Street made up for it...don't remember much of it though."
Tanya smiles. "You and Malibu Drivers don't mix."
"So what about this demon Gabriel...Asma...Armadeus whatever it's name is." Ryan asks "I mean spoilt rich kids in a nice cosy club sporting big fat egos is one thing...but if there is a demon among them, not that I believe this...... where does that leave us?"
"First we need to understand the history behind the Silver Skulls and their rivals...the Scroll and Key." Gabriel said. "Find out what made them rivals in the first place."
"Oh I can answer that one...I think" Jacob said. "The Scroll and Key is far older, like dates back to the 17th century or something and they have patronage of someone powerful, don't know who though, so part of it is a well...power struggle between the older society and these new rich kid upstarts."
"There has to be more to that...I will have a web look and see what I can find." Ryan offered.
"And we will do some research ourselves." Gabriel nodded.

vampyre

Back to top Go down

Episode 1.09 Decisions Empty Re: Episode 1.09 Decisions

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down